January 4, 2012

Crock-pot Chicken Taco Chili

Well...I got in my 4 miles yesterday. But I ran it indoors on the treadmill. And I only ran the first 2 miles at a steady 9:13 minute-mile before having to switch to interval sprints for the final 2 miles. I just wanted more mental stimulation and the steady running wasn't getting it done. I was pleased that I was "bored" enough to want to do sprints. I know once my miles increase, I'll be able to occupy my mind and it will get easier to run at a steady pace.

It takes me about 4-5 miles before I get in "the zone" and kind of forget that I'm running. If you aren't a runner, that probably sounds bonkers, but the reason I like long distance running is because I get to the point where I don't even think about what I'm doing and then all of a sudden I'm at mile 10. It's actually pretty great. Since it takes awhile for me to "zone up," running short distances like 5k's or the 5-mile turkey trot are a little bit miserable.

Enough with the running...let's talk crock-pot chili! Chicken taco chili to be exact. I cannot wait to make this recipe!! I wanted to make it tonight but I don't have some of the ingredients so I'll settle for making it this weekend. The plan is to make it Sunday but I might get too excited and make it Saturday.

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili
Serves 10

[source]
Ingredients

1 onion, chopped
1 16 oz. can black beans
1 16 oz. can kidney beans
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 10 oz package frozen corn kernels
2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with chilies
1 packet taco seasoning
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
24 oz (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
chili peppers, chopped (optional)
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

1. Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker.  
2. Place chicken on top and cover.  
3. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with low fat cheese and sour cream.

The website I got this recipe from included the nutritional facts. Very convenient and considerate.

Nutrition facts

Serving size: 1 1/4 cups 
Calories: 203.7
Fat: 1.4 g 
Carb: 33.3 g
Fiber: 10.0 g
Protein: 16.9 g


Happy Hump Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment