February 27, 2012

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Squares

Helllllllo Monday! I hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was pretty great! I ate too much Saturday night but resisted the urge to order a pizza on Sunday so I patted myself on the back for that one. I actually craved fruit instead of greasy food after a night of drinking so that's a weird good thing I guess.

I have a tasty recipe to share: peanut butter banana oatmeal squares. I found it on Pinterest last week and couldn't wait to try it out. Boy am I glad I got on it because these things are fan-flippin-tastic! I had one right out of the oven and it literally melted in my mouth because the peanut butter was still warm. I've had a few at room temperature which are good too, but I think I like them warmed up the best.



Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Squares
makes roughly16 squares

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 large mashed banana
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

Directions

1. Mix together the quick cooking oats, light brown sugar, baking powder, kosher salt and ground cinnamon.

2. Add in the vanilla extract, milk and egg. Mix the ingredients together.

3. Then add in the mashed banana and peanut butter. Combine all of the ingredients.

4. Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 8 by 8 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Here is the nutrition info (note: this is approximate):

Serving size: 1 bar
Calories: 77
Total fat: 2.9g
Carbs: 11.2g
Fiber: 1.3g
Sugar: 4.5g
Protein: 2.5g

Not bad!

I crumbled one on top of OIAJ for breakfast Saturday which was so so so delicious.


OIAJ
I was too tired to drag myself to the gym this morning so I'll be doing this workout tonight after work (unless I find something better by tonight.) Make it a great day!

2 comments:

  1. How ripe do you think the banana should be? Regular, or overly ripe like you would use for banana bread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used some that were a little on the ripe side but not overly ripe which left chunks of banana in my squares (which I liked.) However, I think the original recipe calls for overly ripe bananas so you get smoother squares.

    ReplyDelete