February 14, 2012

Eating after your workout

I did this treadmill exercise this morning and was able to do the whole thing without taking any breaks! That's progress people! It made me feel really good that I was able to get through it more easily than the last couple times. Yay!


funny animal pictures make me laugh
Back in the day, when I was a crazy exercise machine, I never ate after my workouts. I figured it would un-do all the hard work I just completed. However, now that I'm older and wiser and have done my research, I realize that it's very important to eat something after you work out. Even if it's protein powder mixed with water (which is what I drink immediately after my workouts in the mornings), you are helping to restore and rebuild the muscles you just worked. It also helps increase your metabolism so you can burn even more calories while at rest throughout the day. Who knew, right?

This article is one of many I've read about just how important it is to eat immediately after a workout. The author calls it "remodeling" and gives an example of building a house. You hire a guy (or girl) to tear down your current house, a guy to clean up the mess, and another guy to build the new house. Your workout tears down the house and your immune system cleans up the mess. But, if you don't eat post-workout, you aren't providing the third guy with the bricks and all your left with is an unfinished lot.

He suggests a liquid meal that consists of carbs and protein but avoids fat. The consumption of fat may slow the digestion of the carbs and protein, therefore not letting them "re-build" your muscles to their maximum ability. Liquid gets absorbed faster therefore working faster to repair those distressed muscles.

The author covers the topic more in-depth than I ever could, but basically, to get the most out of your workout, you must eat immediately post-workout to reap the most benefit. Since I kind of have a "deadline" for myself (not really, but I don't have a better word), I'm really focusing on doing the most I can over the next few months to look my best for Katie's wedding. So any little bit helps!

Of course I couldn't write a post on February 14 without wishing everyone a Happy Valentine's Day! Even though it's a fake holiday (if it were real, we wouldn't have to work today...just sayin') there are many people in my life that I love dearly who should know it. That includes all my faithful readers! So whether you have a valentine or not, know that YOU are loved! :)

so hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment