March 27, 2012

Shrimp and rice bowl with salsa

Oh man, I'm getting really good at making up meals on the fly! I'm really proud of myself for getting tonight's meal together with scarce options.



I am low on the funds right now (end-of-the-month blues) so I'm having to get creative with my meals this week. I want to eat healthy but I can't go buy fresh produce. So I try to keep healthy things in the pantry and in the freezer for weeks like this one.

When I was thinking about what to eat for dinner tonight, I remembered the frozen shrimp in my freezer and the brown rice in my pantry and viola...a very yummy meal was born!

Shrimp and Rice Bowl with Salsa
serves one

4-6 cooked frozen shrimp
1 cup cooked brown rice
your favorite salsa

Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Place frozen shrimp in the skillet and cook until shrimp is warmed through, about 5-7 minutes. Put shrimp in a bowl and top with cooked brown rice. Add salsa as desired.

This was taken after I had eaten about half of the bowl


I would have loved to add some veggies to this but, like I said, I don't have any on hand right now and I already ate all my frozen veggies. Fresh veggies are almost always best but frozen veggies will do the trick in a pinch. Unfortunately, I finished my last bag of frozen veggies today at lunch. But this bowl did a good job of filling me up until my snack about 1.5 hours later. My snack included a bowl of no-sugar-added applesauce topped with Crispix with about a handful of these wonderfully delicious nuts on the side:



These cinnamon almonds taste just like fall. And we all know how much I adore fall! I've had the cocoa variety before, and although I'm usually partial to chocolate, these are my all-time fave. I highly suggest plucking them up if you ever see them!

Now I'm off to see The Hunger Games movie for the second time. I absolutely loved the book (as did everyone else on the planet, right?) and I really enjoyed the movie. I felt it was very true to the book and also pretty dark. Tiff wants to see it and I told her I would go with her again because I want to be able to take in different aspects now that I know what to expect. And before anyone tries to ask me which "team" I'm on, Peeta or Gale, I'm going to declare that a "moo" point because there is only Team Peeta....there is no such thing as Team Gale.


No comments:

Post a Comment