November 7, 2011

The Mediterranean Diet

[source]
It's been said for years that people who live in the Mediterranean region live longer and have less obesity related illnesses. This is mostly because of the foods they are accustomed to eating (duh.) Since it's easier to get fresh food, a lot of their diet consists of fish, vegetables, and olive oil. I've never been out of the country (USA USA USA) but I'd love to travel just to experience other countries' food and culture. I've heard from multiple world travelers that going out to dinner in other countries takes 4-5 hours; it's 45-60 minutes before you even get your food, and then you're expected to sit around with your chums for hours after you eat. Most other countries believe that meals should be savored and enjoyed, unlike America where there is a fast food restaurant (or three) at every major intersection. Don't get me wrong, I love french fries as much as the next guy, but I'm trying to work on taking the time to prepare healthy meals and also taking the time to enjoy them. I'll be keeping the following list, The Mediterranean Dietary Pattern, in mind as I continue to expand on my mad cooking skillz (yes, with a z.)

The Mediterranean Dietary Pattern (source)
  • An abundance of food from plant sources, including fruits, vegetables, potatoes, breads and grains, beans, nuts, and seeds.
  • Emphasis on variety of minimally processed, seasonally fresh, and locally grown foods.  Olive oil as the principal fat, replacing other fats and oils.
  • Total fat ranging from less than 25% to no more than 35% of calories, with saturated fat comprising no more than 7% to 8% of calories.
  • Daily consumption of low to moderate amounts of cheese and yogurt.
  • Twice-weekly consumption of low to moderate amounts of fish and poultry.
  • Zero to four eggs per week.
  • Fresh fruit as the typical dessert; sweets with a significant amount of sugar (often as honey) and saturated fat consumed no more than a few times per week.
  • Red meat consumed a few times per month.
  • Low to moderate consumption of wine, normally with meals, about one to two glasses per day for men and one glass per day for women.

[source]

1 comment:

  1. Allie, Becca and I just came back from Turkey, and during 10 days there my nails grew so long and were hard, my skin and hair felt so much better it was incredible. We ate constantly, I dont think I was ever hungry, and while we walked a lot, it definitely wasn't equivalent to our eats...but we all came back without putting on even a pound! Definitely an amazing way to eat, great spices and tastes but so incredibly healthy. We should share some recipes!

    ReplyDelete