September 26, 2011

Overnight Oats...in mah belly

Back to posting about things I'm obsessed with, I thought I would dedicate this post to overnight oats. They are tremendously easy to make and so filling- sometimes I feel like it's the only thing that can fill me up after my morning workouts at That Gym. Plus, they are versatile (much like my beloved smoothies) and all you need are three ingredients. From there, the possibilities are endless!

[source]
The three things you'll need are milk (I use my favorite: unsweetened vanilla almond milk), old-fashioned oats, and chia seeds. Yes, the same chia seeds you used on your super cool cha-cha-cha-chia pets. And no, you do not grow grass in your belly when you eat them. They are a nutritional powerhouse and they thicken the ONO to create a nice texture. Now, before you get too excited about eating your chia pet, the seeds aren't very easy to find. I haven't been able to find them any place other than at Whole Foods, which is annoying since I usually shop at Kroger or Giant Eagle. So, if you find them anywhere else, please let me know!

To make ONO, just put the milk, oats, and seeds in a bowl or tupperware container and let it sit in the fridge overnight. The next morning, add whatever toppings you'd like, scoop into mouth, and rub belly in enjoyment.
___________________________________________________________________
My go-to breakfast and what I eat before long runs is the Carob Banana Chia Vegan ONO:
adapted from Oh She Glows

1/3 c old-fashioned oats
2 tbps chia seeds
1tbsp carob powder
1-2 tbsp walnuts (optional)
1 c milk
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 banana
spoonful almond butter

Mix together dry ingredients (oats, chia seeds, cacao powder, optional nuts.) Add wet ingredients (milk, vanilla) and mix. Cut up the banana and stir into mixture. Let mixture sit in fridge overnight. When you're ready to eat, add a spoonful of almond butter. Note: if eating this before exercising, omit almond butter. It may give you a mean side cramp.
___________________________________________________________________
Another version that I love is Pumpkin Pie Vegan ONO (and perfect for fall!):
adapted from Oh She Glows

1/3-1/2 c oats
1 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8th tsp nutmeg, 1/8th tsp ginger)
3/4 c milk
1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1/3 c canned pumpkin
walnuts (topping)
1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup (topping)
raisins (topping)
Mix the oats, chia seeds, and spices in a small bowl. Add the milk and maple syrup and whisk until mixed. Add in the pumpkin and whisk again until fully incorporated. Place in the fridge overnight. Before eating, top with raisins, walnuts, and maple syrup.
___________________________________________________________________
I haven't tried this version yet but it sounds friggin' amazing and one that I might try this weekend since I'll have some time--
Banana soft-serve Vegan ONO from Oh She Glows:
1/3 cup regular oats
1 c milk
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 chocolate protein powder
In a small bowl, mix together above ingredients with a whisk and throw in fridge overnight.
Banana Soft Serve
1 large frozen banana
splash of almond milk
In the morning, process frozen banana and splash of almond milk in a food processor until smooth and creamy like soft serve.
Layer the overnight mixture with the soft serve and serve immediately.

Give them a try and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment