September 21, 2011

A Declaration

I've always described myself as a morning person. I've known this ever since I can remember; I like to get up early and get things done so I can relax at night. My co-workers make fun of me because I go to bed by 10pm every night. In high school, I would wake up and run first thing in the morning to get it over with, but with college and real-life getting in the way, I forgot how much of a morning workout person I am. Today, I officially declare it.
[source]

My work hours recently changed to reflect the time schools are open. My job requires recruiting and managing elementary, middle and high school across Central Ohio to collect spare change for blood cancer research. The campaign doesn't officially start until February but we recruit in the fall before school calendars fill up. I have two temporary employees who call these schools so from September to December, my hours change from the regular 9am-5pm to 7:30am-3:30pm because what's the point of calling a school at 4pm if all the teachers are gone by 2:45pm? I used to work out with Demi at That Gym from 7-8am, which gave me about 45 minutes to get ready for work at 9am. Since my hours have changed, I changed my workout time to 4-5pm and I am just not feeling it. I feel like my afternoon workouts are so much harder because I really don't have the energy to work as hard as I do in the mornings. I also feel so much more awake and alert in the mornings if I've worked out and it literally puts me in a better mood. Also, as we all know, things tend to get scheduled after work: meetings, dinner with friends/family, happy hour, naps, etc...I'd rather get my workout done in the morning so I don't feel bad about missing a workout because something came up.

I went in to workout with Demi at 6am this morning for the first time since my hours moved. I'm thankful it takes about 30 seconds to get there now that I live so close so I can literally roll out of bed, change, and go over there. I didn't even turn on a light this morning. The only problem is that I only have 15 minutes to get ready for work. However, I think I can sacrifice a long shower and drying my hair for a good workout.

I was talking to my brother and Tiff about this the other day, trying to figure out a better workout schedule for myself, and while I was telling them how much more I like morning workouts, Jamie made a face and said "I am the complete opposite." He used to drive me to high school before I had my license and I was always ready to go before he had even opened his eyes in the morning. I think I got my "morning person" genes from my dad who was always up and out of the house by 7am while he got his "afternoon person" genes from our mom who wouldn't go to bed until 1 or 2am.

Are you a morning person or an afternoon person?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a morning person or a night owl....but I much prefer getting my workouts in first thing in the morning. I look forward to the day when my work schedule would actually allow that...so for now I trudge through evening workouts.

    ReplyDelete