October 4, 2011

TV shows gone too soon

I'm a huge fan of TV. My co-workers joke that I watch every show on TV, which is false. I just know a lot of things. It was recently announced (and legit confirmed) that Arrested Development is coming back for 10 TV episodes followed by a movie! It's been rumor for a few years that the show would return as a movie, but the announcement that there will be 10 shows to recap where we left off with each character to set up the movie is even more exciting! It's so witty and sarcastic; right up my humor alley. I didn't start watching it until after it was canceled, but it is definitely one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.
[source]

My So-Called Life was another show that was canceled too soon. This show was on when I was too young to "get it" but I watched it again a few years ago (love ya Hulu) and it really was a great show for teenage girls, filled with drama, heartbreak and hot guys. I'm looking at YOU Jared Leto (before 30 Seconds to Mars.) Claire Danes didn't want to do a second season so the show was forced to end since she was the main character. It's a good thing she's had a pretty successful career since then or else I would be pissed! Nothing worse than an actor quitting a show to do "bigger and better things" only to never be seen or heard from again.


Jared Leto. You are hot.


My family and I watched American Dreams together every Sunday until it was canceled. The show followed a family of six during important historical and political moments in American history. My dad would tell us stories about where he was and how he remembered events that were on the show. The characters were so relatable and authentic: the dad owned his own appliance store; the mom stayed at home; the oldest son, the dad's namesake, was a star football player and later went in to the Army; the oldest daughter danced on American Bandstand and was a sophomore in high school; the youngest daughter was a star speller and know-it-all; and the youngest son had a disability caused by polio. We even bought the first season on DVD. I've been searching high and low for seasons 2 and 3 on DVD but I'm not sure they even exist. If someone finds them, please let me know!

[source]    
Just writing that Friday Night Lights is no longer on TV brings tears to my eyes. I mean, every single character on this show is fantastic and watching it makes me want to live in Dillon, Texas. I want Tammy Taylor to console me after a bad day and I want to look Coach Taylor in the eyes and tell him how much I respect him. If this sounds crazy and a little creepy, then you've obviously never seen the show. I'm a freak already because I actually LOVED high school, and this show reminds me of my own high school years, albeit with more drama and better looking people (there was no Tim Riggins at UAHS.) It would've been one of the biggest shows ever on NBC if the stupid people there didn't put it on at 8pm on Friday nights. Don't you know that your target audience, me, is not home on Friday nights at 8pm? Even high school kids, who can relate to the show, are at their actual high school's football games when your show about high school football is on. Get it TOGETHER NBC. The good news is that there are rumors about a Friday Night Lights movie based of the TV show in the works (which was based off of a movie based off a book, but the TV series was the best of the three by far.) If this is true and it actually happens, I will lose my shit. Seriously.

[source]
[source]


No comments:

Post a Comment